Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday Nights

I've mentioned before that Thursday nights in July and August comprise our American Storytellers summer series of lectures and performances. Thursdays mean I get to come in to work late and stay late. Of course the highlight of the day is sitting in on, for instance, Curator Joyce Schiller's talk on our Rockwell and the Movies exhibition, or a performance of a cappella group Quintessential.

I'll tell the truth though--I definitely don't mind the extra sleep! The picturesque drive I take through the Berkshires to Great Barrington to pick up refreshments for the evening is a wonderful way to spend Thursday morning, and we usually have leftovers of the fancy finger food and seltzer water that I can take home to appreciative friends. I feel a little ridiculous bringing a Tupperware container to work in which to pack my pirate's booty when the event is over, but I'm a poor college student so I have very little pride.

Shopping for these events is a little like playing dress-up when I was little--I get to pick out the nice cheeses, crackers and fruit for a fine cocktail hour, but then put it on the Museum's account. I arrange the goodies carefully on a plate, a skill I learned one summer in high school when I worked in food service making fruit and cheese platters (a talent that at this job has proved shockingly relevant; my boss jokingly asked why it's not on my resume). After Martha Stewart-ing it up all afternoon with the help of Rick, a Museum volunteer who has been doing these events for ages, we sit back and let the performer do their thing, much to the delight of Museum visitors (who don't care quite as much about the platters as I might). You, dear blog reader, should definitely consider coming out one of these Thursdays--5:30 P.M sharp!

No comments:

Post a Comment