Thursday, August 26, 2010

Last Day Jitters

Today is my last day! When I left home this morning, I had everything all set: a sandwich packed for my last-day lunch that my boss had invited everyone to, plans to meet with the Norman Rockwell Museum archivist about a research project I'll be working on into the fall, and a grocery list of things to pick up for our event tonight. Oh, I had everything all planned out for a perfect last day. And then my plans went way off track!

I made it all the way out to Stockbridge, where the museum is, and was going to continue on to Great Barrington to pick up the food. As I've mentioned here before, I take the backroads to get there on what is usually a beautiful drive. But today there was construction--and a lot of it! The police officer directed me to follow the lady in front of me through a lenghty detour--which I did successfully, winding through gravel mountain roads until I found my way back to the highway. After grocery shopping I headed back, turning off at the place the detour had dumped me out before. And then...I was lost. With no lady in front of me to follow, I didn't know which of the unlabeled dirt roads was which, and ended up on an unfamiliar highway in a town I didn't know.

So at 12:30, when I was supposed to be sitting down to a lovely goodbye lunch that my boss had planned for me (with cake and everything!) I was driving down Route 41, headed straight back (though I didn't know it at the time) to Great Barrington. Thankfully the people I work with are supportive and forgiving, and eventually with the help of Joseph, the manager of Visitor Services, I was able to find my way back to the museum--an hour late for lunch and my meeting afterward!

Everything worked out--the cake was still delicious, and I'm here in plenty of time to set up for tonight. But sometimes things just don't go according to plan. Overall my summer here went so well--our programs seemed to run remarkably smoothly, and I think we left lots of happy kids and parents in our wake. I suppose something had to go wrong eventually! But speaking of those happy kids, I took some adorable pictures the past few days that I wanted to share with you as my "last word" here:





Thank you so much for following my blog. If you're reading it because you're interested in interning at the NRM, you can find more information here. Enjoy, and consider visiting the Norman Rockwell Museum sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment