Thursday, August 19, 2010

Turning the Tables

Today I experienced what it's like to be a visitor at the Norman Rockwell Museum, turning the tables a little bit on one of my last few days here for the summer. Since my time is winding down I decided to bring my boyfriend to see the galleries and help with my weekly food shopping. He's also staying for our event tonight, when New Yorker Cartoon Editor Robert Mankoff will speak as part of our American Storytellers series. I think it's going to be a great talk--why not come out and join us if you're in the area?

When I arrived at work, rather than winding my way around to the staff parking lot and entering at the loading dock, I parked in the visitor area and followed the steady midday stream of people heading through the front door and into the sunny lobby. We checked in at admissions and visited the Rockwell Studio together, taking a nice stroll through the grounds and sitting on a bench overlooking the Housatonic River. After the lecture tonight we're going to dinner in the area, so we asked the lovely people at Visitor Services for a recommendation. They obliged, suggesting we drive a few minutes up the road past Tanglewood (where the Boston Symphony Orchestra spends their summers) up to Lenox.

Right now he's in the galleries while I get some work done and prepare food for the event tonight. But today I got to be a visitor (I even got a handy map of the Berkshires!) and I have to admit, it's a pretty cushy gig. Hey, maybe I'll stop by the museum store on my way out. And I definitely want to get a picture with my guy in front of the white and red Norman Rockwell Museum sign to remember the great day we had here.

No comments:

Post a Comment